Pickford Film Center
- Location: Bellingham, WA
- Client: Pickford Film Center
The historic building at 1318 Bay Street is home to the Pickford Film Center. Built circa 1904 as a department store, the building features glass enclosed storefronts with leaded glass transoms and a high, ornate tin plate ceiling. It was acquired by the Pickford in 2004, and Zervas was tasked with the program to create two theaters and a cafe for independent cinema.
The building has a row of structural columns down the center of the building. Zervas incorporated these columns into the south edge of the theater seating, with an aisle beyond. This allows the theaters to use over half of the building’s otherwise narrow 50 foot lateral bracing, required for seismic upgrades, which was carefully concealed within the structure, except at the storefront, where it is exposed.
Cafe seating is extended into the glass enclosed storefront, creating a lively facade from the street. The historic details, such as the tin ceiling, leaded glass windows and ceramic tile trim on the facade, have all been preserved.
The exterior color scheme was chosen to enhance the Mission style architecture.